CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Monday, October 12, 2009

Week 2 Term 4 Solo Taxonomy and WTN

Today was very exciting. We identified our learning intention for writing a cinquain poem and then established our Solo rubric collaboratively.
We then looked at the first pattern or structure for writing a cinquain. The children then had a go at writing a cinquain poem using this structure. The children then used their rubric to assess their level of success and then identified " Where To Next " or "What To Do Next " - to improve their writing.
Today there were may "Ah ha " moments where some children could really see how the rubric requires more in-depth thinking as well as gives clear direction of what to do to improve their writing.
The rubric is very simple at this stage but we will develop this through the week.
I am amazed that I have not used Solo Taxonomy before. I think that it is very user friendly and I can see how it is a tool that empowers children to accurately and easily assess their learning and determine what to do to improve.
I think that this is the area that is most thought provoking for me as I examine my practice. I think that we correct students work and provide feedback but I don't think that we give them enough direction of what they actually need to do to improve.
I also think that the collaborative construction of the rubric provides clear understanding and ownership of the learning process, for the children.
Here are some examples of our work today.


0 comments: