CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The beginning of my daily reflective journal Term 3 2009

The ethics documents have been passed by the principal of the school and I have handed these out to 15 children. I have asked for the returns by the 24th July.
I am not sure if I should share my present state of thinking because at the moment I feel a little undirected. My project which is based on developing my knowledge of and implementation of developing metacognitive practice, e- tools and e-portfolios which will support reflective, self - directed learning has opened many other avenues of thinking and identified issues related to and which may impact on this kind of learning practice, which I had not realised eg. the amount of writing time that students are involved in, in class and the relation between this, engagement and reflection and self directed learning. I have just been making a note of how much time children in my class actually spend in this mode of learning each day. They are 8/9 year olds and I have been shocked at what I have recorded in just one week.
Other issues that have impacted on my initial project has been looking at boys and their learning. I am wanting to teaching them to be more reflective and yet much of the literature identifies boys at this age being far more speculative rather than reflective. I have also been looking at teaching instruction and how much is teacher - student engagement, student - student or student - teacher engagement. In order for reflective practice to become part of a students thinking process they have to be given more ownership of their learning. So the dilemma is that if learning is done to students ( teacher - student ) for the majority of the day, then it is very difficult for them to take ownership and responsibility for their learning.
I am in thinking overdrive at the moment. I have decided to keep a daily record of types of instruction for the entire length of this study as well as the type of instruction.

0 comments: